Organisations (Atmospheric Sciences)
> Instrument & Software Companies & Retailers
- Aercus Instruments - designers and manufacturers of weather and other environmental monitoring equipment.
- Aeronautical & General Instruments (AGI) Ltd - design & manufacture airport & marine meteorological systems.
- Agrovista - amongst other things they sell weather stations and moisture monitoring products.
- Barometer World - sells weather instruments (not just barometers!)
online & in Devon shop.
- Bell Flow Systems - sell average rainfall and general environmental flow monitoring solutions.
- Biral - manufacture automatic weather sensors.
- Boltek - US based manufacturer of state of the art lightning detection systems.
- Brannan - UK/Swedish based manufacturer of thermometers, pressure gauges & related products.
- Cambridge Environmental Research Consultants (CERC) - specialise in air quality software & consultancy.
- Campbell Scientific - manufacture automatic
- Casella - manufacture automatic & manual
- ClimeMET - designer and seller of weather instrumentation.
- Dartcom - manufacturers of satellites and
remote sensing ground stations.
- Davis - manufacture automatic weather stations
& associated software.
- Delta T Devices - manufacture automatic weather stations &
- Dorset Weathervanes - produces handcrafted weathervanes on
a variety of themes.
- Ecowitt - professional supplier of weather instrumentation based in China.
- Electronic Temperature Instruments Ltd - manufacture about 70% of the environmental instruments that they sell.
- EnviroMonitors - suppliers of environmental monitoring equipment for UK growers & horticulturalists.
- Environmental Measurements Ltd - manufacture/distribute meteorological instrumentation.
- Equinox Instruments - sole UK distributor for Kipp & Zonen BV, G.Lufft Mess, PREDE, Van Renesse Supplies & ATTEX.
- Fairmount Weather Systems - manufacture a wide range of meteorological
- FCC Precision - manufacture & sell high quality traditional & modern weather instrumentation for either the home or boat. (new)
- Findlay Irvine - manufacture automatic weather stations &
- Flyrite - manufacture windsocks masts, anemometers and accessories.
- FT Technologies - specialise in the design and manufacture of high performance Acoustic Resonance wind sensors.
- Gill Instruments - produce the largest range of anemometers in the market today.
- Gracey & Associates - sound, vibration and meteorological instrument hire and calibration services.
- Green Frog Scientific - retailer specialising in weather stations and environmental monitoring equipment.
- Halcyon Solutions - specialists in sale, installation & maintenance of scientific instrumentation.
- Heavy Weather - US based seller of weather monitoring equipment & software.
- Horologica - specialise in clock and barometer repairs. Based in Billericay, Essex. (new)
- Hydro International - develop & supply monitoring systems to the water and environmental protection industries. (updated)
- Hydrokit - suppliers of meteorological, surface & ground water monitoring equipment.
- Instromet Ltd - manufacture weather monitoring equipment
- Jaytec - specialists in calibrated scientific glassware including rain measures for manual rain gauges.
- Kipp & Zonen - manufacture instruments that measure solar radiation and atmospheric properties.
- La Crosse Technology - US based manufacturer of weather monitoring equipment.
- Logic-Energy - manufacture LeWL Wind Speed data loggers & supply anemometers, masts etc..
- Lightsoft - Software company that specialises in weather station software for Macintosh computers.
- Mendip Weather - retailer formerly trading at 'Red Onions' that specialises in Davis weather equipment.
- Metcheck - manufacture & supply a wide range of weather
- Met Engineering Ltd - multi-disciplined engineers specialising in met instrumentation.
- Meteo-Technology - offers a range of information about meteorological instruments and observing systems.
- Meteotronic - French-based meteorological instrument retailer.
- Metspec - provide a range of durable met instrument housings.
- Miros Group - supply sensors and systems for environmental monitoring to the global offshore and maritime industry.
- Mitchell Instruments - supplier of hygrometers, moisture analysers etc.
- Muir Matheson Ltd -
specialist in onshore and offshore meteorological instrumentation.
- Munro Instruments -
established in 1864 they provide meteorological & hydrological equipment sales & service.
- myWindsock - provides insightful weather data to the cycling community through revealing the impact of wind on cycling performance.
- Nationwide Barometers - specialists in barometer parts and the repair of antique barometers.
- Omni Instruments - sell and hire a wide range of instrumentation.
- PCE Group - specialists in meteorological and a broad range of other scientific instrumentation.
- Prodata - resellers of the full range of Davis weather instrumentation.
- Pullman Instruments - calibrate and test meteorological and other measuring equipment.
- Rainwise - US based manufacturer
of meteorological instruments.
- Richard Paul Russell Ltd - manufacture hand-held anemometers
- Rotronic - manufacturers of thermometers, hygrometers and ventilated shields for instruments.
- RS Hydro - UK/worldwide supplier/consultancy for met instrumentation (hire+sale).
- Russell Scientific Instruments - manufacture scientific measuring instruments.
- Sencrop - established in 2016 they supply weather stations, applications & decision support tools to the agriculture industry.
- Skye Instruments - suppliers
of a broad range of environmental monitoring equipment.
- Skyview Systems - suppliers
of weather monitoring equipment.
- Timestep - suppliers of
weather satellite equipment.
- Vaisala - manufacture surface
& upper air automatic instrumentation.
- Vavasseur Antiques - specialise in acquisition, restoration, conservation & sales of antique scientific instruments. Based in Totnes, Devon. (new)
- Vector Instruments - manufacture weather sensors and associated equipment.
- Weather Graphics - weather software for Windows.
- Weather Shop - shop based near Eastbourne selling weather equipment/books & run courses.
- Weather Spares - Suffolk based weather instrument
- Weather Stone - Lake District based company specialising in weather forecasting stones.
- Weatherweatherweather.co.uk - shop selling automatic weather stations for enthusiasts now owned by Tempcon Ltd.
- RM Young - manufacture automatic weather stations.
- Zeal - manufacture and supply thermometers, hydrometers, hygrometers, flowmeters and pressure gauges/recorders.
> Meteorological Companies
- Accu Weather UK & Ireland - US met company which took over UK's Online Weather.
- Aerospace & Marine International - US company with base in Aberdeen specialising in marine services.
- AvBrief - flight briefing (some info needs subscription) for pilots.
Weather Centre - forecasting service run by the BBC.
- British Weather Services -
longest established UK independent meteorological company providing bespoke meteorological services (est 1987).
- CatInsight - specialises in catastrophe (cat) model building and model evaluation.
- Climate Sense - consultancy supporting organisations to adapt and thrive in the face of a complex, climate-uncertain future. (new)
- DTN - In 2019, Meteogroup (formerly PA Weather Centre) was acquired and integrated into DTN.
- Euro Tempest - provides innovative weather risk products for Europe.
- Fugro - services include supply of met & oceanographic services for offshore/coastal engineering applications.
- Guernsey Met Office - located at the airport it provides a range of meteorological services to Guernsey.
- Jersey Meteorological Section - or 'Jersey Met' they provide a range of weather services to Jersey.
- Lake Street Consulting Ltd - seek to help enable businesses to make the best weather-dependent decisions.
- Mar-Met -
provide a range of services for the offshore and constructions industries worldwide.
- Met Éireann - the Irish National Meteorological Service based in Dublin.
- Met Office - the UK's National Meteorological Service based in Exeter, Devon.
- Metcheck - currently owned by Ben Veal (no relation!) they specialise in tailored forecasts for business.
- Metdesk - based in Wendover they deliver bespoke solutions to weather sensitive industries.
- Met Marine - based in London they provide world wide marine weather forecasts for skippers.
- Metos UK - launched 2018. UK arm of Pessl Instruments. Advises farmers, vineyard & golf course owners about weather instrumentation.
- MetraWeather - international subsidiary of New Zealand Met Service whose Europe HQ is in Reading.
- MetSwift - Accurate weather insights and analytics designed for risk calculation.
- MetSwirl - provide severe weather guidance up to 5 days ahead for the UK. (new)
- Netweather TV -
based in London they supply weather data, forecasts & information to a wide range of businesses.
- Norman Lynagh Weather Consultancy - specialists in services to marine & film industries.
- North Sea Weather - Providing services to oil/gas, offshore construction & fishing Industries.
- RMS - catastrophe risk modelling company with UK office in London.
- Speedwell Weather- specialists in analysing, structuring & placing weather risk.
- StormGeo - global weather services provider (3 UK offices) focussing on offshore, renewables, media & shipping.
- Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd - deliver small satellite missions.
- The Weather Company (largest private weather company) owned by IBM with European HQ in London.
- Weather Action - Weather company run by Piers Corbyn that provide long range forecasts.
- Weather Consultancy Services / Weatherweb.net - weather forecasting company based in Staffordshire.
- WeatherEvents.net - specialists in mobile, real-time weather data acquisition and imagery.
- WeatherLab - quality-controlled historical weather data and reports from the UK.
- Weathernet - based in Bournemouth provide
weather information for insurers, construction, legal & other sectors.
- WeatherQuest - forecasting company based
at UEA in Norwich.
- Weather Research -
specialise in predicting weather impacts on sales.
- Weather Trending - John Hammond and Sara Thornton bring weather broadcasting in from the cold.
- Weather2 -
Glasgow company providing content via multi-media, multi-channel info services.
- WNI Weathernews - global weather company that bought Oceanroutes (Aberdeen). Their UK office is in London.
> Academic & Government Organisations
OTHER ACADEMIC OR GOVERNMENT RELATED ORGANISATIONS
- Atmospheric Measurement & Observation Facility (AMOF) - UK research facility enabling advanced atmos. measurements (part of NCAS). (new)
- AVOID2 - Can we avoid dangerous climate change?
- BAS - British Antarctic Survey based in Cambridge it delivers and enables world-leading interdisciplinary research in the Polar Regions. (new)
- BODC - British Oceanographic Data Centre which supplies oceanographic research data, run by NERC.
- CAST - Centre for Climate Change & Social Transformations - global hub quantifying transformations needed to address climate change. (new)
- CEFAS - Centre for Environment, Fisheries & Aquaculture Science - Tackling climate change, biodiversity loss & food security. (new)
- CEOS - Committee on Earth Observation Satellites - promotes international cooperation and exchange of satellite data. (new)
- Chilbolton Observatory - covers research in atmospheric science, radiocommunications, astronomy, space science & technology.
- Climate Change Committee - independent, statutory body established under the Climate Change Act 2008.
- Coastal Observatory, Liverpool Bay - Part of the National Oceanography Centre.
- COST - European cooperation in science/ technical research.
- ECMWF - European Centre for Medium Range Forecasting - forecast research organisation based in
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in the Maths of Planet Earth.
- ESSL - European Severe Storms Laboratory seeks to improve preparedness for the impacts of severe storms.
- EUMETSAT - responsible for launch/operation of European meteorological satellites.
- FAAM - Facility for Airborne Atmospheric Measurements (Met Office & NERC).
- Flood Forecasting Centre - Specialist Hydromet Service jointly run by Met Office & Environment Agency.
- HADOBS - with links to Met Office Hadley Centre's gridded datasets.
- IGS - International Glaciological Society. Founded 1936. Provides focus for those interested in practical & scientific aspects of snow & ice. (new)
- IPCC - the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- JCWRP - Joint Weather & Climate Research Programme between Met Office & NERC.
- MCCIP - United Kingdom Marine Climate Change Impacts Partnership.
- National Oceanography Centre - From coast to deep ocean. Making sense of changing seas. (new)
- National Oceanography Centre, Liverpool.
- National Partnership for Ocean Prediction - science to service engagement.
- NCAS - NERC National Centre for Atmospheric Sciences - addresses global challenges to help society adapt to environmental change.
- NCOF - National Centre for Ocean Forecasting.
- NEODAAS - NERC Earth Observation Data Acquisition and Analysis Service.
- NTSLF - National Tidal & Sea Level Facility - UK sea level monitoring, coastal flood forecasting and the analysis of sea level extremes. (new)
- Plymouth Marine Laboratory - conducts multidisciplinary marine science research to understand the complex marine environment. (new)
- PRIMET - Association of Private Meteorological Services covering Europe.
- Tyndall Centre for climate change research - HQ in the Hubert Lamb Building at the University of East Anglia. (new)
- UGAMP - UK Universities Global Atmospheric Modelling
- UKCIP - UK Climate Impacts Programme - helps organisations adapt to climate change.
- UK Climate Projections (UKCP18) - UK climate change information & guidance.
- UK Environmental Change Network - detect & interpret environmental change.
- UKRI areas of Investment & Support include: Climate & environmental risk analytics for resilient finance, Climate change & sustainability & Climate, environment & health.
- Western Channel Observatory (WCO) - marine biodiversity reference site near Plymouth.
- Weybourne Atmospheric Observatory (WAO) - Global Atmospheric Watch (GAW) Regional station located on North Norfolk Coast. (new)
- World Meteorological Organisation - United Nations specialised agency.
ACADEMIC JOURNALS & METEOROLOGICAL MAGAZINES
- Agricultural & Forest Meteorology published by Elsevier.
- Atmospheric Research published by Elsevier.
- Atmospheric Science Letters online journal launched in 2000.
- Boundary Layer Meteorology published by Springer.
- Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society published by the American Meteorological Society.
- Climate Research published by Inter-Research.
- International Journal of Biometeorology published by Springer.
- International Journal of Climatology published by Wiley for the Royal Meteorological Society.
- International Journal of Meteorology - formerly Journal of Met..& journal archive.
- Journal of Atmospheric & Ocean Technology published by the American Meteorological Society.
- Journal of Hydrometeorology published by the American Meteorological Society.
- Meteorological Applications published by Wiley for the Royal Meteorological Society.
- Meteorological Technology International published by UKi Media & Events.
- Monthly Weather Review published by the American Meteorological Society.
- Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society published by Wiley for the Royal Meteorological Society.
- Tellus A: Dynamic Meteorology & Oceanography published by Taylor & Francis Group.
- Tellus B: Chemical & Physical Meteorology published by Taylor & Francis Group.
- Weather magazine published by Wiley for members of the Royal Meteorological Society.
- Weather & Forecasting published by the American Meteorological Society.
- Weather Eye - a thriving general interest meteological magazine.
- WIRES Climate Change journal published in association with RMetS & Royal Geographical Society.
METEOROLOGICAL SOCIETIES & GROUPS
- Climatological Observers Link -
founded in 1970 for amateur observers.
- Cloud Appreciation Society -
for folk who love clouds!.
- Cloudobservers -
for ex-serving Met Observers/METOC Branch of Royal Navy.
- Euroforecaster.org - working group for the cooperation between European forecasters.
- European Meteorological Society (EMS) -
association founded in 1999.
- Group for Earth Observation (GEO) -
for weather satellite & earth obs fans.
- Hampstead Scientific Society - founded in 1899 & have astronomy & meteorology sections. They run a varied programme of scientific talks.
- Irish Meteorological Society -
founded in 1982 & based in Dublin.
- Met Matters - Royal Met Society relaunched theWeatherClub blog site as this in 2021.
- Oxford Climate Society - University of Oxford society dedicated to connecting and developing informed climate leaders.
- Remote Imaging Group -
group for all interested in satellite imaging.
- Royal Meteorological
Society (RMetS) - founded in 1850 & based in Reading.
- Tornado & Storm Research
Organisation (TORRO) - founded in 1974.
WEATHER & CLIMATE TEACHING RESOURCES
- ITV Weather Explorers & Climate Explorers - Resources for teaching weather in schools.
- Support materials for teaching weather & climate in schools including Weather & Climate; A Teachers Guide (new) from Metlink.
- Teaching ideas - Weather - Resources for teaching weather in schools.
- Weather for schools - educational website suitable for children aged 7 to 11.
- UK extreme weather - set of notes from Cool Geography.
- Weather & climate teaching resources from internet geography.
- Weather teaching resources & climate teaching resources - for school children of all ages from Twinkl.
- Geography Education Online (GEO) - Geographical Assoc site for those studying GCSE, A level or equivalent Geography qualifications.
- The weatherprediction.com - the ultimate weather education website.
- Explore weather and climate - from BBC Bitesize.
- Climate change explained - guidance from the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero. (new)
GCSE GEOGRAPHY SPECIFIC TEACHING RESOURCES
- Weather & climate - GCSE Geography revision resources from BBC Bitesize.
- Weather & climate - GCSE Geography revision resources from i-study.
- Weather & climate - GCSE Geography revision resources from Revision World.
- GCSE Geography weather & climate vocabulary - from Barcelona Field Studies Centre.
- AQA GCSE Geography detailed notes on weather hazards - from Physics & Maths Tutor.
- AQA GCSE Geography topic questions on weather hazards - from Save My Exams.
- Enjoyable quizzes for GCSE Geography - includes several meteorology & climate related quizzes from Education Quizzes.
- Weather and Climate revision notes and tests for GCSE Geography - s-cool the revision website.
- Weather measurement - Weather & climate - Climate & natural vegetation - GCSE Geography resources from Geography Revision.
MISCELLANEOUS EDUCATIONAL & OTHER ORGANISATIONS
- Adaptation Scotland provide advice and support to help Scotland be prepared and resilient to the effects of climate change.
- Astronomical Data Portal of the UK Hydrological Institute.
- Aurora & Noctilucent Cloud (NLC) and the Solar sections of the British Astronomical Association.
- British Council advice on "surviving British weather" for those planning to study in the UK.
- Campaign for Dark Skies (CfDS) - from the British Astronomical Association.
- Climate Action for Associations brings associations together to tackle the global climate emergency.
- Climate Change Education Partnership brings education/research/STEM partners together to support climate change education delivery.
- Climate Data Guide providing actionable insights on climate data from experts at NCAR.
- Coping with mountain weather and conditions & gudie to weather and avalanche forecasts from Mountaineering Scotland. (new)
- Extreme Windstorms (XWS) Catalogue provides details of 50+ extreme wind storms.
- FerryBox Project data archive.
- Geographical Association (GA) publishes resources on many aspects of geography & geographical education.
- Greenpeace Climate Change minisite - pages from the campaign group.
- Kayakery guide to sea and weather - useful educational material supplied by the sea kayaker's comprehensive free online handbook. (new)
- National Coastwatch Institution - voluntary organisation set up in 1994 to restore visual watch of UK coast.
- National Meteorological Library & Archive from Met Office.
- National River Flow Archive - CEH's hydrometric data archive from UK gauging stations.
- Scientific Instrument Society - formed in 1983 to bring together all interested in instrumentation.
- Show Your Stripes - generate stripes showing temperature trends over past 100+ years.
- Spaceguard Centre - UK national near Earth objects information centre in Knighton, Powys. (updated)
- Top IOS Store weather apps & Top Google Play Store weather apps from Mobile Action.
- UK Phenology Network -
collating data on Nature's Calendar from the Woodland Trust.
> Jobs in Atmospheric Sciences